Monday, March 8, 2010

West Side Story: a review by Paul-Antoine Blanc

This is an important scene in the film, at the dance where Tony meets Maria.

At the beginning, the film was quite funny. When they were in the street and they danced each step, it made me laugh. To my mind, they looked a bit ridiculous, because we don't see people walking like this every day. I think the dances were well choreographed and their length astonished me.
In my opinion, the meetings between Tony and Maria are stilted as well as the love scenes. Sometimes, the love songs are insufferable, Maria's voice is too high pitched but some street songs are well built and impressive. I was expecting the death of Tony, because if we know that the film is based on Romeo and Juliet's story, we know the ending. I thought that Maria would killed herself after Tony's death but I was wrong. The scene where Maria is at her balcony looks like the so called Romeo and Juliet's balcony scene where Romeo calls Juliet. The only difference is that the environment is not really the same, in West Side Story it is in a backstreet whereas in Romeo and Juliet, the scene takes place in a marvelous mansion.





















The song melodies keep popping up in our heads and it sometimes annoys.
To conclude, I had a good time nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment